Low Carb Diets like the Atkins Diet, South Beach Diet are popular among those who want to lose weight. Although Low Carb Diets help people lose weight and can help people with diabetes and Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), these diets can sometimes be very restrictive when it comes to the different types of food one can consume. Most Low Carbohydrate diets eliminate all kinds of grains, fruits and starchy vegetables. Instead you consume food high in protein, fat and cholesterol. This can cause health problems in the long run. Moreover, your body misses out on several nutrients and dietary fiber when you minimize fruits and vegetables.
A healthier way to lose weight and to maintain a healthy weight is to follow a healthy low carbohydrate, low fat and lean protein diet. The weight lose may not be as drastic as a Strict Low Carb Diet but the benefits of a proper well-balanced diet will pay off in the long run.
Here is what you need to do to follow a healthy low-carb diet.
- Try replacing refined grains with whole grains. Say no to White Rice, White Bread, Breakfast Cereals and other refined food items. Instead go for healthier grains like Whole Wheat Kernels, Bulgur, Oats, Barley, Quinoa and so on.
- Reduce your sugar consumption. If possible eliminate sugar from your coffee and tea. Avoid sweetened juices and snacks.
- Limit the intake of starchy vegetables. We all love potatoes but it is good to limit their intake. Try sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Corn and Peas should be consumed in moderation.
- Include high-fiber food in your diet like Oat bran, Wheat bran, Flax seeds, Sesame Seeds, Lentils and Beans.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Try including a fruit and atleast 2 kinds of vegetables in every meal.
- Choose a lean source of Protein like Fish, Chicken or Turkey. White Meat is always better than Dark Meat. Replace chicken thighs with breasts for a healthier choice.
- Limit your intake of Red Meat which is high in saturated fat and cholesterol. If you have to do with red meat, chose lean cuts of pork or beef.
- Reduce the amount of oil, butter, margarine and other fats used for cooking. Chose heart healthy oils like Olive Oil and Canola Oil.
- Instead of deep frying food in oil, try baking. Baked Chicken and Vegetables taste really good.
- Say no to Processed food like Instant Noodles, Instant Pastas, Biscuits, Cereals, Crackers, Cookies, Canned Soups, Cakes and so on. These are high in sugar, saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Eggs are good but should be consumed in moderation. Not more than 3-5 eggs a week.
- Portion Control is the key to successful weight loss. Eat small portions and remember to stop eating when you are 3/4th full. Pile your plate with more vegetables, less grains and less meat.
- Eat healthy snacks like nuts, fruits, vegetables, beans, boiled eggs, lean meat, oat meal and so on.
- You need to restrict sweet treats like Chocolates, Sodas and Icecreams. These add on calories quickly.