It’s hard to believe that I have a toddler instead of a baby. Where is my sweet little newborn? After writing about the things I loved with my newborn, I thought I should write about toddler essentials. These are some of the things which I found to be useful with my toddler. You can always family and friends to gift you some of these items during Christmas or even for your Baby Shower.
I am still learning so many things as a first-time Mom. I am pretty sure this list will change over the years but here are a few of my current favorites with my toddler.
- Bowls, Plates and Eating Utensils – You need these right around the 6 month mark when your baby starts solids. Since toddlers are messy eaters, it’s best to choose durable plastic or stainless steel plates, bowls, utensils and cups.
- Ikea Antilop High Chair – Easy to clean and lightweight. It isn’t pricey like the high-end cushioned high chairs.
- Shoes and Socks – Your toddler will need a good pair of walking shoes that are comfortable and many pairs of socks specially during the winter months. My little one began walking around 14 months and used shoes from 16 months.
- Summer Hat – My toddler loves going to the park and walking around the neighborhood. A hat is a must during the hot summer months. My toddler always gets compliments while wearing a hat.
- Footed Fleece Pyjamas – A must for the cold northern winters. Since my toddler dislikes blankets, fleece footed pyjamas are all that works during bedtime. We bought a few from Costco like the one in the above photoand loved it.
- Mittens, Fleece Jackets and Winter Caps
- Sippy Cups with Spout – We had great success with NUK Soft Silicone tip Learner Cup when we introduced cow’s milk. My baby had no problem with it. However, prior to that we tried the Munchkin Click Lock Learner Cup for water and juice but it was really difficult for my toddler.
- Miracle Cup – The Munchkin 360 Miracle Cup pictured above has been my toddler’s favorite cup so far. Started using it right around 18 months but I wish I had bought it earlier. Easy to clean which is a great plus for mommies.
- Umbrella Stroller – We stopped using the Chicco Cortina Stroller once our baby turned 15 months. All that we needed was a light-weight stroller for our numerous trips. We have the Babies R Us Lightweight Stroller with Canopy and mesh-front storage pocket. I love this stroller and it has lasted over a year. I use it for our daily walks to the Library, Park and Mall. We have also used it during flight journeys and love it.
- Weather Shield for Stroller – I have been using a basic weathershield from Walmart but it has helped us during rain and snow.
- Activity Table – My baby learned to cruise holding onto the activity table. Great for entertaining toddlers as they learn to stand and walk. It is not a must but if you can find one on clearance or yard sale, buy it. We bought the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Muscial Table from Once Upon a Child for less than $10.
- Cabinet and Drawer Safety Locks – I like the Safety 1st SecureTech Cabinet Lock. My toddler still hasn’t figured to open the kitchen cabinets after installing these locks.
- Outlet Covers/Plug Protectors
- Safety Gates – We used Regalo Baby Gates for our kitchen and stairway. It was pressure mounted and worked great.
- Door Knob Lock Guards/Safety Cover
- Ride-On Toy – We had a Disney Ride-on Plane and it was fun for our toddler with the realistic propeller and lights.
- Books – Toddlers love reading books. Thankfully, the public library is just across the road and so we always borrow board books.